Sunday, December 21, 2008

So - What do you do?

This question probably more than any other question related to my work sends my mind in a hundred different directions. I'm sure many artists struggle between their identity as members of the "real working world" and as artists. At times it takes split second tempering to decide what kind of answer the person is really looking for. A lot of times I cop out and go with my "real world job" as my answer. "I'm a bartender." .... as if I wasn't *really* an artist.


While I don't believe that people should wrap their identity up with what they do to make money - there are certain things that cannot escape the day to day reality of what you do.


After painting for 13 years I am only now coming to grips with the fact that the answer to, "what do you do?" is, "I am an artist."


Okay, the next question is "Oh - what kind of art do you do". This is the real source of dread for me in answering the question because I am doomed to understate my mission. My canned answer is "I paint people".


In case I ever meet you and I give you this canned, halfway answer - here is the real answer. "I paint people in a way that diffuses the social construction of race and casts the subjects of my paintings in colors that do not reflect the melanin-esque realities but the reality of humanity. I want to not only paint humans as humans (and not members of melanin groups) but in an empowering way that speaks to their most realized identity." This usually will lead to people assuming that I think race doesn't exist. Here is my response, "To say that when I look at a black person I don't see color would be ignoring the reality that they have a heritage rooted in their historical context as an heir to their race. But I do believe that the constructs we call 'race' our contrived and social in nature and while recognizing that someone's skin color may influence their identity; I believe that as humans we have stronger ties to each other than as members of our races."
At this point, depending on who I was talking to, would give me a look of consternation and ask, "are you saying that you don't believe there are inequalities or other consequences of race?" No - I am not saying that. I am saying, in reaction to the inequalities and consequences of race and ethnicity in the world I want to create an environment through my art where people can look at people with fresh sight - beyond the visual baggage we have inherited.


This conversation may or may not continue depending on the interest level of my conversation partner... the thing that makes this conversation difficult to spring on people is that it is an involved process that has many facets. So while trying to think of a concise explanation I want to be able to express the meaning behind my paintings.


Try me sometime when you bump into me - or shoot me an e-mail. Ask me, "What do you do?" and be ready for me to ask you.

No comments: