Sunday, April 20, 2008

No Woman No Cry

Soon you will be able to view a presentation of my new work on my site http://www.ashermains.com/.

The idea behind this painting is that music creates an environment - a soundscape - and then we can experience the environment through music.
Music entangles and embraces, intertwines and is repelled, music is the air and the ground. In "No Woman No Cry" the music is in the sky and bounces off the sides of the buildings.
Music drapes over the crying woman. Unintelligible calligraphy are the song's lyrics as it constructs the world we experience.
Music represents the power to experience through others.

Through these paintings I want to give visual reference to aural cues. I want to help the viewer experience. I want to change the way you view your music.

No comments: